- Animal Welfare Information Center (AWIC) (2015) Rodents
- Animal Welfare Information Center (AWIC) (2006) Information Resources on the Care and Welfare of Rodents, AWIC Resource Series no 37. Beltsville MD: United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), National Agriculture Library.
- Baumans V., Brain P.F., Brugere H., Clausing P., Jeneskog T. and Perretta G. (1994) Pain and distress in laboratory rodents and lagomorphs. Report of the Federation of European Laboratory Animal Science Associations (FELASA) Working Group on Pain and Distress. Laboratory Animals 28(2):97-112.
- Christensen S.D., Mikkelsen L.F., Fels J.J., Bodvarsdóttir T.B. and Hansen A.K. (2009) Quality of plasma sampled by different methods for multiple blood sampling in mice. Laboratory Animals 43(1):65-71.
- Conlee K., Stephens M.L., Rowan A.N. and King L.A. (2005) Carbon dioxide for euthanasia: concerns regarding pain and distress, with special reference to mice and rats. Laboratory Animals 39(2):137-161.
- Council of Europe (2006) Appendix A of the European Convention for the Protection of Vertebrate Animals Used for Experimental and Other Scientific Purposes (ETS No. 123). In: Guidelines for Accommodation and Care of Animals. Strasbourg, France: CE.
- Gaskill B.N., Karas A.Z., Garner J.P. and Pritchett-Corning K.R. (2013) Nest building as an indicator of health and welfare in laboratory mice. Journal of Visualized Experiments 82:e51012, doi:10.3791/51012
- Hawkins P., Burn C., Hurst J., Burman O., Van Loo P., Leach M., Maconochie M., Dennison N., Jennings M. and Hubrecht R. (2011) Report of the 2010 RSPCA/UFAW Rodent Welfare Group meeting – the effects of husbandry on welfare and promoting good practice. Animal Technology and Welfare (ATW) 10(2):105-113.
- Hem A., Smith A.J. and Solberg P. (1998). Saphenous vein puncture for blood sampling of the mouse, rat, hamster, gerbil, guinea pig, ferret and mink. Laboratory Animals 32(4):364-368.
- Hubrecht R. and Kirkwood J. (eds.) (2010) The UFAW Handbook on the Care and Management of Laboratory and Other Research Animals, 8th ed. Oxford UK: Blackwell Science.
- Hurst J. L. and West R. S.(2010) Taming anxiety in laboratory mice. Nature Methods 7(10):825-826.
- Kohn D.F., Martin T.E., Foley P.L., Morris T.H., Swindle M.M., Vogler G.A. and Wixson S.K. (2007) Guidelines for the assessment and management of pain in rodents and rabbits. Journal of the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (JAALAS) 46(2):97-108.
- Leach M.C., Thornton P.D. and Main D.C.J. (2008) Identification of appropriate measures for the assessment of laboratory mouse welfare. Animal Welfare 17(2):161-170.
- National Centre for the Replacement, Refinement and Reduction of Animals in Research (NC3Rs) (2015) Rodents
- National Centre for the Replacement, Refinement and Reduction of Animals in Research (NC3Rs) (2015) Handling & Restraint of Mice
- Reinhardt V. and Reinhardt A. (eds.) (2002) Comfortable Quarters for Laboratory Animals, 9th ed. Washington DC: Animal Welfare Institute.
- Supplementary resources & movies