- Animal Research Review Panel (2006) Guideline 21: Guidelines for the Housing of Guinea Pigs in Scientific Institutions. New South Wales, Australia: Animal Welfare Branch, NSW Department of Primary Industries.
- Council of Europe (2006) Appendix A of the European Convention for the Protection of Vertebrate Animals Used for Experimental and Other Scientific Purposes (ETS No. 123). In: Guidelines for Accommodation and Care of Animals. Strasbourg, France: CE.
- Hem A., Smith A.J. and Solberg P. (1998) Saphenous vein puncture for blood sampling of the mouse, rat, hamster, gerbil, guinea pig, ferret and mink. Laboratory Animals 32(4):364-368.
- Hubrecht R. and Kirkwood J. (eds.) (2010) The UFAW Handbook on the Care and Management of Laboratory and Other Research Animals, 8th ed. Oxford UK: Blackwell Science.
- National Centre for the Replacement, Refinement and Reduction of Animals in Research (NC3Rs) (2015) Rodents
- Reinhardt V. and Reinhardt A. (eds.) (2002) Comfortable Quarters for Laboratory Animals, 9th ed. Washington DC: Animal Welfare Institute.