- American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists (2004) Guidelines for the Use of Live Amphibians and Reptiles in Field and Laboratory Research, 2nd ed. Miami FL: ASIH.
- Animal Welfare Information Center (AWIC) (2015) Fish, Reptiles, and Amphibians
- Chum H., Felt S., Garner J. and Green S. (2013) Biology, behavior, and environmental enrichment for the captive African clawed frog (Xenopus spp). Applied Animal Behaviour Science 143(2-4):150-156.
- Council of Europe (2006) Appendix A of the European Convention for the Protection of Vertebrate Animals Used for Experimental and Other Scientific Purposes (ETS No. 123). In: Guidelines for Accommodation and Care of Animals. Strasbourg, France: CE.
- Hubrecht R. and Kirkwood J. (eds.) (2010) The UFAW Handbook on the Care and Management of Laboratory and Other Research Animals, 8th ed. Oxford UK: Blackwell Science.
- Institute for Laboratory Animal Research (ILAR) (2007) Use of Amphibians in the Research, Laboratory, or Classroom Setting [theme issue]. ILAR Journal 48(3):179-301.
- Reed B.T. (2005) Guidance on the Housing and Care of the African Clawed Frog Xenopus laevis. Southwater UK: Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA).
- Reinhardt V. and Reinhardt A. (eds.) (2002) Comfortable Quarters for Laboratory Animals, 9th ed. Washington DC: Animal Welfare Institute.
- Tyler M.J. (2009) Frogs and Toads as Experimental Animals, Fact Sheet A13. Adelaide, Australia: Australian & New Zealand Council for the Care of Animals in Research and Teaching (ANZCCART).