Conventional Test Method:
Mouse Bioassay (PSP)
(Association of Official Analytical Chemists [AOAC] Official Method 959.08)
Alternative Test Method:
- Name & Description:
Pre-column HPLC Method (Lawrence method)
Acetic acid shellfish extracts are prepared and oxidized before being analyzed using HPLC. Samples may require two runs.
- Validation Status:
Association of Analytical Communities (AOAC): validated through collaborative trial (2005)
EU: Inter-laboratory validation study using AOAC official method 2005.06 organized by the Community Reference Laboratory of Marine Biotoxins (CRLMB) concluded that the test can be useful as a screening method but needs further work to implement it for Official PSP Control and as a Reference Method at the EU (2007)
- Regulatory Status:
AOAC Official Method 2005.06
FAO/WHO: accepted as a screening test (Codex Type IV method [Tentative Method of Analysis] but could be promoted to Type III [Alternative Approved Method of Analysis] through further validation studies)
- Effect or Potential Effect on Animal Use:
- AOAC International (2005) AOAC Official Method 2005.06; Paralytic shellfish poisoning toxins in shellfish: Prechromatographic oxidation and liquid chromatography with fluorescence detection, First Action 2005. AOAC International, Gaithersburg.
- Ben-Gigirey B., Rodríguez-Velasco M.L., Villar-González A. & Botana L.M. (2007) Influence of the sample toxic profile on the suitability of a high performance liquid chromatography method for official paralytic shellfish toxins control. Journal of Chromatography A 1140: 78-87.
- Lawrence J.F. & Niedzwiadek B. (2001) Quantitative determination of paralytic shellfish poisoning toxins in shellfish using prechromatographic oxidation and liquid chromatography with fluorescence detection. Journal of AOAC International 84: 1099-1108.
- Lawrence J.F., Niedzwiadek B. & Menard C. (2005) Quantitative determination of paralytic shellfish poisoning toxins in shellfish using prechromatographic oxidation and liquid chromatography with fluorescence detection: collaborative study. Journal of AOAC International 88: 1714-1732.
- Information Last Reviewed:
- May 2012